By: Emma Johnson, 5/15/2015 @ 10:12AM
I’m not into makeup, but after interviewing her, I am into Makeup Geek CEO Marlena Stell, who I profiled this week in How Makeup Geek CEO Marlena Stell Built a $10M Business on YouTube and Honesty, and who set me straight about department-store cosmetic prices in I Spent $28 On Mascara So You Don’t Have To:
“Just because it’s more expensive doesn’t mean it’s better quality,” Stell told me. “Department store cosmetics cost more, because the packaging is nicer. That is what you’re paying for.” Stell says that Mac eyeshadow that retails for $14, costs the brand $1 to manufacture.
Stell knows the cosmetics industry inside and out, having honestly reviewed thousands of products on her YouTube channel and blog, and launching her own makeup line, which today grosses $1 million monthly.
Looking for an affordable equivalent to your favorite Sephora product? Here are Stell’s Top 8 department store splurges and their drug store equals:
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer ($19) vs Maybelline Fit Me Concealer ($4.19)
- Urban Decay 24/7 Eye Pencil ($20) vs L’oreal HIP High Intensity Pigments Eyeliner ($10)
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation ($27) vs Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation ($10)
- Diorskin Nude Compact Powder vs Maybelline Dream Wonder Powder
- Armani Eyes to Kill Intense Eyeshadow ($34) vs L’oreal Infallible Eyeshadow ($4.99)
- MAC Lipsticks ($16) vs Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipsticks ($4.99)
- NARS Lip Gloss ($26) vs NYX Mega Shine Lipgloss ($4.99)
- Too Faced Melted Lipsticks ($21) vs LA Girl Glazed Lip Paint ($3.50)